The universe is expanding with the increase in the number of people in cities around the world. The population has been growing at the alarming rate and it’s giving the green signal to the drastic issues. Overcrowding, lack of resources and the waste management are the more highlighted issues. All thanks to the advancement of the cities and the ignorance towards rural areas.
Most Populated Cities in the World
More than half of the population has shifted in the urban area and increasing with the highest ratio. We have listed down the most populated cities in the world in which Shanghai has reached to its highest population size. Let’s check out.
1. Kinshasa, the Democratic Republic of the Congo
Let’s get started with the Kinshasa, the populous city of the Democratic Republic of the Congo. The city has been accommodating almost 11,462,000 people as well as the city has the honor to be the capital city of the Democratic Republic of Congo. Geographically, the capital city spans around 473.73 km2 which include mostly the rural area. Yes, the city is the DRCs of the 26 Provinces in which 90 percent population settled down in villages and the rest of the 10 percent only resides in urban land.
2. São Paulo, Brazil
São Paulo has been maintaining its rank on the list of most populated cities for years. It’s all due to its population that reaches to around 12 million and the total area of the city is 1,081.05 Km2. The City is the capital and owning the captaincy of the State. However, the city is the 13th largest city in the world. The Sao Paulo alone is grossing 11 percent of the Brazil GDP.
3. Moscow, Russia
Next on our list of most populated Cities is the Russian Federal City, Moscow. When it comes to population, Moscow is enough populous that it’s residing 12.2 million residents in the rural areas. The city is the major economic, political, cultural and scientific center.
4. Istanbul, Turkey
Istanbul, formerly known as “Constantinople” is the modern-day most populous city of Turkey. With the total population of 12,661,000, the country is on the 7th rank on our list of most populated cities in the world. It’s the vast resource of the country’s economy and has rich cultural and historical centers that are grossing enough revenue. Arguably, Istanbul is luckily on the strategic position as it has a direct link to Europe and Middle Eastern countries.
5. Mumbai, India
When to look down the most populated cities in the world, the Capital city of Maharashtra, India surely make its appearance on the list. It’s also the most populous city in India with a population of 12.4 million. It has a total population of 12.4 million but it’s ambiguous. However, the city is ranked high for having vital importance in the film industry and other economic resources.
6. Guangzhou, China
With the 13,081,000 population, the capital of the populous city province is grabbing the 5th rank. It’s formerly known as Canton and located on the north-west of Hong Kong on the coast of Pearl River. It’s the most populous built-in metropolis area in China which spans around 7,434.4 km2. The population of the city contains 40 percent of the migrants. However, the country is not only the oldest and the largest city but also the step to step partner with Shanghai, Beijing for having the biggest real estate market.
7. Shenzhen, China
Shenzhen is located in the northern region of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region. It’s the major city of the Guangdong province for being the market town of 30,000 people on the Kowloon–Canton Railway route. According to the recent statistics, Shenzhen has been covering the total population of 13,723,000 in 1,493.32 km2 area.
8. Karachi, Pakistan
Surprisingly, the Capital of the Pakistani province of Singh is accommodating the 3rd highest population of 14,910,352 in the area of only 3,780 km2. Karachi is holding the 3rd rank on our list of most populated cities in the world. Not only that, the city is in the ranking of Beta World City for being the financial and industrial center of Pakistan. It’s the home of two largest Pakistani Ports, the Port Bin Qasim and Port of Karachi.
You may also like 15 Most Beautiful States in the United States
9. Beijing, China
Beijing won the second rank on our list of most populated cities in the world and in China as well. Beijing has the total population of 20,794,000 which directed by the direct-controlled municipality. The city is featured with the modern and traditional architectures. The city has a great influence towards politics, education, economy, culture and rich history.
10. Shanghai, China
Last but not the least, Shanghai is flaunting on the top rank with the eye-popping population of 24,183,300. This enables Shanghai to be the most populated city in the world. it’s the financial center by globally and locally.